38% of employees are looking to change roles
Almost all HR leaders are concerned employee turnover will skyrocket in the coming months, according to a Gartner survey of 572 HR leaders.
Another Gartner survey of 1,609 candidates between May and June 2021 found that nearly half of today’s applicants are considering at least two job offers simultaneously.
Talk of “The Great Resignation” is still dominating the news, despite no concrete evidence of its existence. According to data by Personio, close to two-fifths (38%) of employees are looking to change roles within the next six to twelve months.
To gain competitive advantage in today’s war on talent, employers need to focus on retention strategies such as the following:
- Ensure career progression plans: empower your staff to be the CEO of their careers and ‘grow your own’ instead of hiring externally.
- Implement mentorship programmes. These foster a sense of belonging in the workplace.
- Emerging talent is very focused on diversity and inclusivity. Ensure your business is inclusive.
- Promote a work/life balance. Wellbeing is a key focus for employees now more than ever.
- Widen your business’s talent pool. Hire outside of the normal parametres of the preferred skillset. It’s not always about skills, it’s about potential, too.
- Offer flexible working that aligns to employee and work needs: flexibility is no longer a perk, it’s a prerequisite for employment since coming out of the pandemic. If you’re not prepared to offer your workforce flexibility, they will find an employer who does.
Photo courtesy of Canva.com